Something Hopeful Photograph

 


These three rings are upon my fingers every day and every night. My mother gave me the ring etched with the music notes to “Choose the Right.” She is who taught me music and continually teaches me to choose the right. When I see it, I’m reminded of every moment at the piano together and every late-night gospel conversation sitting at the kitchen counter. My second ring was given to me by my father. He knows how much I love history and symbolism and gave me this claddagh ring. Different parts of the claddagh ring symbolize love, friendship, and loyalty.  You wear it facing different directions based on if your heart is open to love or not. Over the years, no matter which way it has faced, I always know my father’s love for me doesn’t change based on the direction it is. It’s been a reminder to me of how steady and constant my Father in Heaven’s love is as well. It doesn’t change based on my relationship status. That ring led to one of the first conversations I had with a boy named Tyler.  He noticed my ring because he had served in Ireland and asked me about it.  Years later, we are now engaged, and he has given me the third ring in the picture. That ring is a promise of eternity. These three rings accompany every high and low, difficulty and joy. Through it all they provide continual hope and a sign that I am known and loved








Comments

  1. This is really beautiful! Your artist statement is really well written and thoughtful, and your photograph is striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Ellis said, this was a very thoughtful response. Thank you for sharing such a personal, intricate example of hope captured in one picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I LOVED this picture when you explained the significance of all of the rings in class. I especially love the way the light falls on the rings while there are shadows scattered in the background because it made the rings shine and sparkle and stand out against the background, which hope often does. It also made me think about how hope is often sweeter and easier to find when we've been in the dark.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment